Canada falls to Brazil in women’s volleyball at Pan Am Games
GUADALAJARA – After the raw power of Cuba, the Canadian women’s volleyball team took on the finesse of Brazil on Sunday and lost 25-19, 25-12, 25-10 at the Pan American Games.
With the loss, the Canadians fall to 0-2 and are in a must win situation on Monday against the Dominican Republic in order to advance to the playoff round. The Brazilians stand at 2-0.
On Saturday, the Canadians were overpowered by Cuba then faced a completely differently style in Brazil.
‘’Brazil outsmarted us tonight,’’ said Canadian team captain Tammy Mahon of Holland, Man. ‘’They were very precise in their plays and it really frustrated us. They probably made two mistakes all night and we had to work hard for every point. But it’s good for us to face these different styles of volleyball.’’
Canada’s head coach Arnd Ludwig is pleased how his troops are sticking to the game plan and playing with a lot of determination.
‘’I think if we can keep playing like this and improve some more in areas we have the capabilities to produce a different result against the Dominican,’’ he said.
Earlier Sunday, Cuba moved to 2-0 defeating the Dominican Republic 25-23, 21-25, 25-20, 25-16.
Canadian women’s volleyball team for the Pan American Games October 15-29 in Guadalajara, Mexico.
1) Tricia Mayba - Winnipeg, MB
2) Julie Young - Red Deer, AB
3) Tammy Mahon - Holland, MB
4) Claire Hanna - Calgary, AB
5) Tonya Mokelki - Weyburn, SK
6) Carla Bradstock - Richmond, BC
7) Tasha Holness - Calgary, AB
8) Elizabeth Cordonier - Vancouver, BC
9) Colette Meek - Sherwood Park, AB
10) Jennifer Hinze - Vancouver, BC
11) Brittney Page - Vernon, BC
12) Lauren O'Reilly - Langley, BC
Head Coach: Arnd Ludwig, Winnipeg
Assistant Coach: Scott Koskie, Winnipeg
Team Manger: Julien Boucher, Quebec City
Athletic Therapist: Ben Trunzo
Statistician: David Carrasco